Looking for ways to keep your kids occupied while hunkering down indoors for the winter? Try baking together! The winter season is the best excuse to whip up some cookies and stay hunkered indoors. Here is a kid-friendly cookie recipe your kids can make with you. And bonus: this recipe can be easily modified for common allergies!
Allergy-friendly Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies are great because you can make them with traditional baking ingredients, or make a few easy swaps to accommodate allergies to gluten, egg, dairy and artificial dyes.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature - or substitute dairy-free butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour – gluten-free, all-purpose or white whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp milk – or substitute plant-based milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3 tbsp milk – or substitute plant-based milk
- All natural food dye
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add in the vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until combined. Then add the milk, one tablespoon at a time. Beat on low until the dough forms a ball.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and roll it out until it is about 1/3" thick. Cut out your desired shapes with cookie cutters and place cookies on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2-4 minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- While the cookies cool, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk together for the icing. If too thick, add another tablespoon of milk until you reach the desired consistency. (Hint: thinner icing means less sugar for your kids!)
- Separate the icing into different bowls and add food dye as desired.
- Now your kids can decorate and enjoy!
- Recipe makes 60 small cookies.